Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Trip to Nanny's

John had a breakfast meeting at school this morning and I wanted to take Mama's Valentine to her. Since John was already gone, and Petey hates being alone so much, I decided to give him a Valentine's Day trip to Nanny's house. He understands "Nanny's House" and was quite ready to go as soon as I said the words. I wasn't quite ready so he had to run back & forth between me and the door several times before he could herd me out the door!!

As a general rule, when Petey is in the only passenger in the car, he stands in the passenger seat with his front paws on the dashboard. That way he can see where he's going. This time, that was not the case. He knew Mama's gift was in the back seat. He had to check on it 5 or 6 times before we were half way there. He got his feelings hurt after I'd told him 5 or 6 times to leave the gift alone. He was so upset that he needed to sit in my lap for the rest of the trip. We live close to my mother, and since I've driven that way hundreds of times, I wasn't distracted by the little white head right in front of me looking at the road.

We got there without incident. Petey immediately jumped out of the car and began peeing on everything in the yard. Another dog had been there and he had to mark his territory.

We went inside and Petey eagerly gave his fine assistance to Mama as she opened her Valentine gifts. We had a very nice visit. Petey likes Nanny's house and was content there. Most of the time, he sat next to me on the couch.

When it was time to go. Petey assumed his stance in the passenger seat as we began the short ride home. We hadn't gone too far, when apparently he remembered that he was allowed to ride in my lap and look out the windshield in front of me, on the way there. The view must be a lot better in the driver's seat than the passenger seat. He insisted on getting back in my lap. I allowed it because sometimes it is just easier. We were just a few blocks from home when the trip became too much for him and he had to rest his head on my arm.

I was driving with my hands in the very safe 10:00 & 2:00 position on the steering wheel. We'll not discuss the safety of a rat terrier in my lap looking out the windshield in front of me!! He rested his head on my left arm and looked more out of the driver's door window than the windshield. That was working much better for both of us until his neck somehow got bumped. I really don't know what happened. I wasn't turning so my arm didn't move and he was calmly resting his head, but somehow or another his very sensitive neck got bumped and he began to cough and gag like he was being strangled. I'll have to do another post sometime about the very sensitive nature of his neck.

We made it home safely and John arrived soon after. He helped John open his Valentine gifts as he'd helped me earlier in the day. All is right in Petey's little world - for the moment. John is in his recliner watching NASCAR and Petey is snuggled up right next to him.

No comments: