Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Another Twist with the Treat

Typically when we leave in the morning, I give Petey a treat. He rushes out of the kitchen to eat it. I don't know why. And I tear up another treat and drop it in the kitchen floor for him to have during the day. I suspect that those are eaten as soon as they are discovered. Every afternoon when we return home the treats are gone, even the ones that have gotten close to the cabinets.

Yesterday, when we got home there was a rather large piece of a treat in the middle of the kitchen floor, which was quite surprising to us. I called Petey in and pointed at it. He sniffed it and walked away. Odd. Very odd.

This morning Petey decided to stay in the bed. I can't say as I blamed him. It was cold. I would have stayed in the bed too, if I could have. I still tore up a treat and scattered it in the floor before leaving for the day. Imagine my surprise when first Petey did not greet us at the back door, and then all of the treats were in the floor. All of them!

I feared the worst briefly, but then Petey came trotting in to greet us. I asked about the treats. He looked at them and walked away. This has left the two of us in quite a quandary. Petey has never refused treats. He's not sick. He is acting like himself in every way except eating the treats.

John thinks that perhaps he's reached his limit on the bacon treats. We stocked up on them while we were out of town so that his caregivers (yes, that is plural - it took three people to take care of him!)would have plenty to share with him while we were gone.

That is a possibility. He'll eat something like there is no tomorrow and then suddenly stop. I'm wondering though, if after having eaten two of the other treats he's decided he likes them. NOT!

It is just Petey being Petey. We should know that by now and not try to figure him out. It can't be done.

No comments: