Monday, August 12, 2013

The Vet Called

We take Petey to the Berry Hill Animal Hospital.  We have been pleased with everyone there from the veterinarians to the assistants, to the receptionist.  Yes, even the receptionist knows Petey!  One of the doctors in particular, however, seems to have a special affinity for Petey.  John and I try to request her whenever we need an appointment.  Her name is Dr. Amanda Gansberger.

John called her after the episode several weeks ago.  After some discussion, they agreed to try Petey on a calming medication at night to help him rest.  (OK, to help us all rest.)  John and I felt like this was Petey's last real chance at normalcy.  And that if this didn't work, we'd have to make the hard decision that we'd been delaying for so long.

On August 1, we gave Petey the first dose of the medicine and we all slept all night.  It was amazing how much better all of us felt the next day.  With the exception of one night, when Petey refused to take his medication, he has taken it every night and is much like his old self.  And I do mean OLD as in old age.

I still had a little doubt in my mind as to how much pain Petey was in.  He seemed so much better that I pacified myself with that thought.

Then, one day last week, out of the blue, Dr. Gansberger called.  She was calling simply to check on Petey.  She wanted to make sure that the medication was working as she had anticipated and had other ideas if this didn't seem to be working.  I was so touched by her kindness that I cried as I told her that I thought Petey was better, but I still had some concern about his back legs/hips.

She explained to me that Petey is 95 years old and is not going to be chasing squirrels no matter what.  She and I discussed his daily activities, and she said they were very typical of a dog of his age and breed.  John and I had already decided that his jumping days were over.  We aren't letting him on the couch or the bed.  He can't be trusted to let one of us help him down when he decides it is time.  He has nice beds in the floor all around the house.  He's been OK with that for the most part.

She gave me a lot of comfort that Petey was acting just like Petey should act.  I think he'll be with us for a while to come.  Maybe he'll make it to 100, which is probably just February!

No comments: