Saturday, September 26, 2009

Petey's Eating

Petey is a picky eater, as has already been discussed on this blog. John generally feeds him and goes to great lengths to entice him to eat. Once he starts eating, it takes very little to disturb him so much that he stops. Then there are times when he just won't eat. Sometimes we know why - see previous blog entry below. Sometimes, we have no idea. So, we have this mindset that we must some how, some way get the dog to eat.

Last night John was out at Petey's usual eating time, so it was my job to feed him. I don't often go to the extremes John does to get Petey to eat. Last night was no exception, as far as my plans went. But when I got out the pouch of food Petey appeared immediately and began prancing around his bowl in eager anticipation. I hardly got the pouch emptied before he dove in. I took note of the fact that this was unusual and went on about my business.

About a half an hour later Petey kept coming to me and walking to the laundry room, where is food is kept. He can be quite persistent when he really wants something. I finally figured out that he wanted some food. I didn't think he needed another pouch of food since his stomach had been upset earlier in the week, so I got a scoop of plain old dry dog food. I didn't think he'd eat it, but didn't care since I knew he'd eaten a whole pouch of food earlier. He dove in again like he hadn't eaten in a month. I began to look more closely at this dog to make sure it was actually Petey. It was.

He gobbled up all of that and asked for more. I put a little bit more dry food in his bowl. I decided he must be empty because of the aforementioned stomach issues during the week. He ate most, but not all of that then. During the night he ate the rest. I'd like to think that Petey is morphing in to a normal dog with regard to eating, but I think this is just another anomaly. We have a lot of those with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's going thru a growth spurt. *smile* That's what my boys do. Nibble and graze for days. Then one day, they eat me out of house and home. Can't fill them up.

I think he does it just to keep you guys guessing.

Jan

Lori said...

John & I have both said that we think he reads this blog, and then does the opposite to make us look silly.