Saturday, March 13, 2010

Petey's Bloody Paws

I got Petey some new treats by Beneful recently. Petey likes the Beneful brand dog food, so I thought he'd like the treats. He does, but probably not as much as the bacon treats.

The Beneful treats are shaped like vegetables. I suppose this is to trick the pet owner into thinking that they are feeding their dog something healthy. One is somewhat tomato shaped and red, another is green, made to look like peas in a pod; and there is one that is orange and shaped something like a carrot. I think they all taste the same because Petey does not seem to prefer one shape over another.

Petey had been outside and I gave him one of the Beneful treats, which is a very common occurrence in our house. I'd gone about my business and in a few minutes Petey came up to me with blood all over his paws, and a little on his snout from where he'd been licking his paws. I tried to control my panic but there was a lot of blood on his paws. He didn't seem very distressed so I got him to take a few steps to see which paw he favored. I couldn't really tell.

I didn't want him tracking blood all over the house so I picked him up and took him to the kitchen where John was. John immediately saw that he'd just about severed one of his toes. I couldn't see for all of the blood. John needed to finish what he was doing before he could address the situation. I put Petey down in the kitchen since the floor is tile and the blood wouldn't be so hard to clean up. I was still trying to figure out exactly where the problem was.

Then I began to notice that all of the blood was bright red. There was no dark red, where it was beginning to dry. I also noticed there was no blood in the floor. Petey didn't seem to be in any distress, especially since I put him down. (He really doesn't like his paws to be bothered.)

It hit me then. I'd given Petey a tomato shaped Beneful treat. He'd held it between his paws as he ate it, making both paws red and also a little around his snout!! I really don't know how he got the dye so far up each leg, but he did. It rinsed right off and didn't even leave a pink tint to his fur.

I didn't think to take a picture, so the reader will have to just imagine a little white dog with bright red food coloring half way up both legs, a sight to behold indeed!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes you feel good with all the red dye, huh?

Jan

Lori said...

Really!! I had flashbacks to red dye #2. Remember that!