Sunday, March 21, 2010

Petey's Potty Rules

Several months ago John got tired of getting up every morning and cleaning up pee from the hardwood floor in the living room. He told Petey that he'd much rather get up in the night and let him out rather than clean up puddles every morning. Petey understood.

Petey began getting John up at night when he needed to use the bathroom. He keeps on getting John up and not me. Not once, has Petey ever come to me to let him out at night - not even when John has been out of town. It is always John, and he'll find John wherever he is in the house. We have marveled as to how Petey really does seem to understand us at times. This time, though, Petey has taken it to another level.

He only asks me to let him out during the day. It is as if in his little mind when he got the idea that John was the night time potty patrol, I must by default be the day time potty patrol. Petey will find me, wherever I am in the house if he wants to go out in the normal waking hours. We have actually walked by John on the way to the back door to go out. In fact, we walk by John most of the time on the way to the back door to go out. I'm not complaining by any means, I'd much rather be the one to let him out when I'm already awake as opposed to getting up at night with him. Now if you'll excuse me, I think Petey wants out...

No comments: