Saturday, May 29, 2010

Petey In Charge

John was out of town for few days the end of the week. Poor guy had yet another conference to attend in Florida. The saddest part was I couldn't go. Petey and I had to stay here all by ourselves.

Having John gone twice in such quick succession was really difficult for Petey and therefore difficult for me. Petey held vigil for John on the back of the couch all day long. He needed to be the first to see John return. From his perch on the back of the couch, he could see out the front window and see both the driveway and the front door. There was no way John was getting in the area without Petey seeing him. At least that is what I initially thought.

Petey barked and/or growled at anything that came in to his field of vision while on his vigil. So I began to wonder if he was protecting me. He knew that John was my protector and not on the job, so he had to step up. That, and the fact if I left he'd be all alone. That is a fate worse than death for a Petey dog.

Fortunately, for the three of us John made it safely home last night. Petey accompanied me to the airport to get him. Petey's been to the airport several times now to pick up wayward family members. I think he recognizes the place now.


No comments: