Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another Detour for Petey

Earlier this week John and Petey came to pick me up at work as usual these days, when we ran into bad traffic. Rather than sit and idle, John decided to try cutting through some neighborhood streets to get around the trouble spot. I enjoyed it because I like looking at houses and yards.

I enjoyed it, that is briefly. Petey got quite distressed as soon as we turned of the street we usually take to get home. He assumed the navigator position of standing with his back paws in my lap and his front paws on the dashboard. When this didn't help he began vocalizing. John was undeterred by the stance and whining, even when Petey increased the volume. We tried to explain that everything was fine and we were actually getting closer to our house even if it was a different route. That didn't matter to Petey.

He jumped in John's lap. Perhaps he was thinking the view was different over there, but we think he was trying to take the steering wheel. He was trying to get his paws on it when I grabbed him back in to my lap. He struggled the rest of the way home trying to get back over there. We made it home without incident, but we are going to have to stick to the same path from now on, unless we are willing to teach Pete how to drive.

No comments: