Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Petey's Reflection

We had one of the most glorious fall weekends ever this weekend. John, Petey and I spent as much as time as possible outside. On Saturday we were sitting outside near the garage. Petey was sitting in my lap and I was sitting at an angle with my back mostly to the garage, when I noticed Petey intently staring at something over my left shoulder. He was staring so hard, I had to look to see what had grabbed his attention. I quickly realized that he was seeing his reflection in the garage window. John was sitting across from me and also noticed what had captured Petey's attention.

So, he did what every sane dog owner in the world would do in this situation; he began to growl. Petey responded in kind. They sat growling for a while, and then Petey decided to launch an offensive by jumping off of my lap towards the window. It was a long enough leap that he didn't quite make it. He was barking madly now, so as the dog would know he was in charge, and ran over to the window. The window was too high for him to see into, so he got up on his hind legs to see in.

The dog was gone. He wasn't getting off that easily. Still all puffed up and ready for a rumble, Petey tore off behind the garage. I don't know why, Petey's been in the garage enough times to know where the door is. He circled the garage completely twice to secure the perimeter. Once he determined that we were all safe. He returned to my lap. He remained on high alert for a good while, but the dog never reappeared.

2 comments:

Ms. Maggie said...

We love Petey! So glad Mitch got to meet him. This is a great story.

Anonymous said...

Well, I wouldn't stay around either if I were a dog (or dog reflection). No dog(reflection) in his right mind would stay around when a human in barking. What if that human bites? Worse yet, what if that human hasn't had his rabies shots?

Good job, Petey! (ummm, and john)

Jan