Sunday, January 16, 2011

Share and Share Alike

...ummm...not with Petey. Petey knows what is his and has no qualms about staking a claim on it. John and I know what most of his stuff is because we gave it to him and he keeps it near the fireplace. Every once in a while we discover something that Petey deems to be his, that we thought was ours, such as my snuggi. We can protest and fight back all we want. Petey is persistent and undeterred. Petey always wins in the turf wars. It is a fact of life with Petey that we have come to understand.


Last night, however, Petey kicked it up a notch. Apparently, the heat in the house is his and his alone as well. Petey knows where all of the heating vents are in the floor and will lay on the nearest one when the heat kicks in. His favorite being the one in the living room floor. Long time readers may remember pictures like the one to the left. This is one of Petey's favorite winter time places.
So on to last night...

John and I had watched a DVD. Petey was in another of his favorite spots, snuggled up with me under the snuggi while we watched the DVD. Once it was over, I got up as I generally do, and Petey stayed under the snuggi like he usually does. We had the fire going in the fire place and I walked over to warm myself by it while John got the DVD from the player. Petey somehow sensed that I was close to the fire and immediately got up from the couch and got in is ring bed which stays in front of the fireplace. He gave me a look that communicated in no uncertain terms that the fireplace and heat were his and not mine. I tried to explain that there was enough heat for both of us, but I knew even before I started that the battle was lost. I went back to the couch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK Petey, this is where I must take your mom's side. I do NOT like being cold. I have to have HEAT. Don't mess with me and the fireplace. It just won't work.

Jan