Saturday, March 3, 2012

Petey's Morning Nap

Petey apparently takes a nice nap every morning after the house is empty. We had suspected so, but didn't know for sure. Two recent events however, confirmed our suspicions.

First a couple of weeks ago I had to come home for something in the middle of the morning. I gave very serious consideration as to if I really, truly needed to come home or not. I knew I'd be violating the Petey Rule of only leaving once a day. Also, since the trip home would be a quick stop & go in rapid succession it would be even worse. After consideration, I knew I had to do it. I would make up for it with extra treats.

So, I got home and was a bit surprised that I was not greeted at the back door with great enthusiasm nor was I met with sinister barking, just a resounding silence. I tiptoed through the house and got what I needed. I saw that Petey was still under the covers in the bed just where I'd left him over two hours before. I was honestly concerned that ole Pete might not be with us anymore, so I gingerly pulled back the covers. I didn't want to wake him and expose my rule breaking ways, but I couldn't just let him stay there if my worst fears were confirmed. I watched carefully until I saw the deep breathing and then slipped the covers back in place and tiptoed back out. Whew! Petey would never know.

Since that time, I had a bout with a little bug that required me to stay home from work and in the bed. Let's just say that Petey was mad. He made it very clear that I was messing up his routine. He wanted in the bed and he wanted in the bed alone. It didn't matter to him how I was feeling. I was not supposed to be in the bed. He kept coming back to the bedroom. When he would find me still in the bed, he would let out a heavy sigh and meander out of the room. After several times of this, I had mercy on the poor dog. I decided I felt well enough to lay on the couch. Once I did that and Petey got the bed, life was much better for both of us.

1 comment:

Jan and Randy said...

Don't mess with his routine....
There is a process. Follow it. All will be well. Change it without proper authorization, and you have problems.

COD's (Chief Operating Dogs) make the rules and only they can change the rules.

In our house, it's the cat. Same concept though.

Jan