Thursday, December 4, 2008

Petey Power

When Petey came to live with us he clearly preferred John to anyone. I was a very distant second at best. Petey demonstrated this preference in many ways, but the most easily explained way is being next to you at all times. Petey likes to sit close to his number one, and by close I mean so close that not even air or light could come between the two. So, Petey followed John every where, and I do mean every where. If John went to the kitchen, Petey went. If John went to the bedroom , so did Petey. If John went to the bathroom...you get the idea? When John would try to relax in the recliner, he had a seat mate jammed in right next to him.

As time passed, however, we began to notice a power shift in the house. Petey began to sit with me on the couch. I thought it was simply because the weather turned cold and I often sat under a blanket while watching TV. Petey loves to be under covers. I assured John that Petey would be back in the recliner just as soon as the weather warmed up. That didn't happen. It was then I began to understand the phrase "love hurts"!! Petey was my constant companion. There was no getting away. Petey is a very persistent little fellow. You just can't hide from him.

Through the years there have been several power shifts in the house. We aren't sure what causes a power shift, but we are each a little relieved when the power has shifted away. Right now, John is in the lofty position of being the favored one.

This is one way we can tell...

No comments: