Saturday, January 17, 2009

Petey's Beds

When Petey came to live with us, he had a box in which he slept. It was a very nicely appointed box with towels and blankets; everything a dog could want and Petey loved it. He knew that was his space and guarded it fiercely. He did not like to have his 'stuff' washed for instance.

As time progressed, he built himself a little nest on the corner of the couch. He would 'arrange' the pillows so that he would be up high and he could survey his kingdom. No one could come or go from the house that he would not be able to see from this vantage point. In time an old blue blanket migrated to that corner of the couch. It had been a blanket that was good to snuggle under on a cold day while watching a movie, but somehow it became Petey's blanket. Slowly, slowly Petey came to have nests in every room of the house - three in the living room.

A few Christmases ago, I was given another blue blanket. This one had my name stitched in the corner. I showed Petey where my name was sewn in and how it was my blanket not his. Although Petey can spell, and tell time, he cannot read and did not care that my name was in the blanket - he took it. He keeps it with the other blue blanket on his end of the couch.

Several months ago, John decided that Petey needed a bed beside the fireplace. Perhaps, he thought, if Petey really liked the nice soft bed beside the nice warm fire, we could reclaim some of the living room for ourselves. That was not to be. Petey just added that soft, warm place to the rest of the soft warm places he liked to rest.

His third living room spot, is directly in front of a heating vent. Our house is old and they don't make vent covers to fit the size vents we have, so John put a towel over it and tucked in three sides of it. When the heat comes on, the towel raises up and the warm air is forced out of the untucked side, blowing air in to the room - at least in theory. Petey quickly learned the sound the heat made when it kicked in and would come put his head under the towel - on the vent!!!
He looks like someone in a cold remedy commercial. I haven't been able to get a picture of him there yet. He's too aware of the camera. I'm still trying, and one day I'll get it.

John decided that this year for Christmas, he would get me a Snuggi. You've probably seen the commercials for them. They are basically blankets with arms. They really are very handy, especially since I'm usually cold and John is usually hot. He got a burgundy colored one thinking that Petey would know that was not his.

We just got the Snuggi this week because it was on back order. Petey knows that it isn't his, but wants it very bad. He seems to be almost jealous of the Snuggi. When I sit on the couch and put it on he is all over me. He was so upset the other night, he was shaking like crazy. I tried putting him on top of the Snuggi and then putting a blanket on him, but that seemed to make matters worse. I've been letting him under the Snuggi with me, but he still really doesn't like that. He'll sigh and carry on like he is really being put out in some way.

Today, I had been watching TV, and decided to go start supper. I just laid the Snuggi on my end of the couch and went into the kitchen. A little later, I walked back in the room and found this.
As aware of the camera as he is, he was not about to move off of his conquest. What am I to do!?!?!

2 comments:

Jan and Randy said...

Petey is a hoot! He sounds like Ansley. What's his is HIS and what's yours is HIS too. Don't forget it either.

Jan

Unknown said...

He is just too cute..you tell great stories!