Sunday, May 31, 2009

A New Quirk

When John and I started this blog we came up with a long list of Petey-isms that we thought would be funny to share. I've gotten away from that some, to share some day to day life experiences with him. I've given consideration to several of his quirks as yet unmentioned on the blog like his RLS, but he has developed a new one of late. He won't scratch on the door to come in anymore.

We largely use the back door to come and go out of the house ourselves, and almost exclusively us that for letting Petey in our out. At times, when he's scratched on the back door signaling he's ready to come and and we haven't heard, he would come to the front door. We thought this was smart of him. But those occasions were rare.

Lately, we've noticed that when he comes back to the door to come back in, he just stands there. Of course, we have adapted to Petey rather than adapting Petey to us. So, most of the time we stand there and wait for him to come back, so that the scratch is not necessary. Now with the fabulous sun to lay in for hours at a time, John and I are not standing by the back door awaiting his majesty's return. A few times, I've heard Petey barking and gone to investigate, only to discover that he just wanted in, most of the time, however he just stands there. John and I try as hard as we can, but we have not yet developed mental telepathy. Now, we just go check on him from time to time.

Just now, Petey had been out sunning on the back porch, and I decided he might want to come inn so I went to see. He wasn't there. He wasn't in our driveway or the neighbor's driveway either. I came to check with John to see if he'd let him in and he had not. I went to the front door. Petey was just standing there patiently waiting for someone to notice that he wanted in. At least he isn't getting perturbed because we don't know he wants in...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's trained you well. You may now call him the "people whisperer".

Jan